As a large retailer, it is important to make a positive contribution to society. Action has chosen for a long-term partnership with SOS Children's Villages because they help vulnerable families and children around the world. SOS makes what is very common for many people accessible to these families and children. A starting point that fits in well with Action. At the end of 2017, we signed our partnership agreement with SOS Children’s Villages, which took off during 2018 and is extended in 2021 for another three years. By supporting SOS Children’s Villages, we can help in countries where we operate our stores and in countries where we source products from suppliers and manufacturers.
Right now, Action supports over 1,500 children in Asia growing up in an SOS family in a children's village. Through the partnership, each Action store and our distribution centre teams are sponsoring one SOS child or village. As Action continues to grow, so does our support to SOS Children's Villages. With every new store opening, we can sponsor one more child. But not only does each store support an SOS child - Action offices in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Poland and France support a number of SOS projects in Europe. This support - a financial donation - is added to on a national level by the Action office and the SOS Children's Village organisation in the respective country. This allowed for example to contribute to building three SOS children's villages in France.
Arian Buurman, director of SOS Children's Villages in the Netherlands, said: “We are delighted with the partnership with Action. Children all over the world are growing up without the care, protection and guidance they need. SOS Children's Villages is there, working with children, young people and families to tackle this global issue on a local level. Action's contribution will allow us to not only provide everything SOS children need to grow up in a safe and loving environment, they also contribute to the support of vulnerable families in the communities surrounding the SOS Children’s Village. With this partnership we are able to even help more children and to ensure a lasting positive impact in their lives.”
Just like Action, SOS Children’s Villages is an international organisation – it works in 136 countries and territories and helps vulnerable children by providing them with a loving home.
Action wants to be an inspiring employer. This partnership gives us an opportunity to engage our employees to be closely involved in our Action Social Responsibility strategy.
Results in 2020
In 2020, we support more than 1,500 SOS children. This contributes to the daily needs of the children and to their villages, including food, education and medical care, as well as sports and play. In short, everything a child needs to grow up!
In addition, in 2020 we financially supported the following European projects:
- The Netherlands: Realisation and renovation of a new children’s village in Syria, Kiss & Hug Zones, Dutch research about the exclusion of vulnerable children & support to the Dutch Simba Family Care project.
- Belgium: Renovation of the rooftops of the houses in the SOS children’s village Chantevent & support the life group “Le Hêtre” within the village.
- Austria: Support the holistic Life, Happiness, Aid program for children, contribution to the construction of a new SOS youth facility in Salzburg and support for refugee families in Innsbruck by the SOS Kinder Welt program.
- Germany: Support a program for children with special therapeutic needs, women refugees and their children with educational programs and support summer and winter holiday camps for children from SOS CV Lausitz.
- France: Contribution to the construction of three new SOS children’s villages where children in need will find a loving home.
- Poland: the stores and the Action office help pay for the medical expenses, therapies, lessons and courses for the children in the SOS children's villages Krasjnik and Bilgoraj.